- Make sure that you link to your website from your facebook page.
- Post high quality pictures of your work. Don't be shy, sharing is important.
- Take the time to create an interesting profile that actually says something. The best way to connect with others is by being yourself.
- Add a Facebook "Like" button to your website, newsletter, or blog.
- Interact with your fans. Successful social media requires you to be sociable.
- Build a community around your comic and your work. If you're a writer, write about the triumphs and struggles of being a writer.
- Create incentives for people to follow your page. For instance, like my page for the chance to win an original Batman sketch by me.
- Be authentic, let your personality shine through. If you're a dork then be a dork, other dorks will recognize you.
- Neglect your Facebook page. There is nothing worse than discovering a Fan page and then realizing that is hasn't been updated since 2007.
- Post photos of your drunken escapades, your neurotic I-think-I'm-sexy self shots, or anything too suggestive, or just plain inappropriate for that matter.
- Use your page like a gigantic advertisement. Have you ever spoken to someone that only seemed interested in selling you something? For emphasis I will repeat a previous thought, this is social media, so be sociable.
- Spam your network, I repeat, DO NOT SPAM YOUR NETWORK!
- Turn off your user comments. It may seem like a good idea to turn the comments off, but it's not. Social media is all about interaction. If you turn the comments off, than it's no longer social. If it's just you talking AT people, sooner or later no one will be listening anymore.
- Post about politics or religion unless you are a politician or a priest, and still you may want to restrain yourself.
- Be negative. Negativity drives people away.
- Automate every little thing to make your life easier. The personal touch is what makes Facebook a great place to be. Take your time and try to connect with your audience.
Courtesy of Shawn Swanson at www.raaarr.com